Friday, December 18, 2009

(Post)Modern Love: Goodbye to Monument Valley


by Courtney Heins

I remember us dancing on the kitchen tile
You had John Wayne’s rhythm and Gary Cooper’s smile
And just like in the movies
Away you stole
I fell asleep before the ending
And cried…as the credits rolled

Why does everything certain
become everything changed
I turn my back to hang the curtain
My whole life gets rearranged
And I’ve fallen hard
And I’ve fallen fast
And I’ve never caught the moment
‘Fore its fallen to the past

Well I’ve worked all day long at this Circus Saloon
Flirted with the cowboys
And waltzed with the broom
But love don’t pay the bills
Just like minimum wage
It’s the least I can get
But the most I’ve ever made

Is this really me
Is this the life I’ve laid
If I trusted the moon
He’d be the first to fade
And I’ve fallen hard
And I’ve fallen fast
And I’ve never caught the moment
‘Fore its fallen to the past

Well you made your reservations on the first-class car
But you didn’t have the courage to go very far
You’re just a second-hand, second-class silver-screen star
Drinkin’ love on the rocks
And smokin’ homespun cigars

Well I danced with a dreamer
Then stepped out of the light
And realized you just weren’t that cowboy in white
You left your girl on the tracks for some villain to steal
And its about time you noticed that this life ain’t real

Goodbye to Monument Valley I’m not your Natalie Wood
You don’t have to save me
Not that you ever could
‘Cuz I’ve fallen hard And I’ve fallen fast
And I haven’t caught that moment
‘Fore its fallen to the past

The doors are locked
There’s rice on the stove
Understand Your Man playin’ on my radio
But the window’s cracked
The gas won’t light
And it looks like its just me and Johnny tonight

‘Cuz see he’s fallen hard
And he’s fallen fast
And he’s come to make me see
Some things are better in the past
He’s fallen hard
And he’s fallen fast
But he’s come to make me realize
If it’s a great love, it will last


Courtney Heins is an Americana singer/songwriter with roots in Indiana and Boston. She currently resides in Los Angeles with her cool dog, Creedence. Her music can be found on iTunes or at www.refolk.com.

1 comment:

  1. I love this poem! Beautiful and insightful. She's a great writer. I've had the pleasure of seeing Courtney Leigh Heins perform in LA and she never fails to captivate the audience. She's a true artist. Thank you for posting her work.

    ReplyDelete